[Osmf-talk] Running

steve at asklater.com steve at asklater.com
Thu Oct 23 14:57:32 UTC 2014

I want to make OSM the best map of the world. OSM needs a functioning board who meet each other, set and achieve goals to get there.

I left a few years ago because I thought I was part of the problem and was holding things back. It doesn't look like that was entirely the case. Since approximately then I've got married and had kids and see things in a different light.

I view the current frustrations and venting as a great opportunity to turn things around, make things better and involve more people. We tried a bunch of things, some of them worked and some didn't. That's ok and it's the nature of trying things. Together with people like you we can revise what didn't work out and change it for the better.

If elected I'll try my best to achieve what I outlined previously here; https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-October/071135.html

I feel like we lost the vision and leadership, which is why I wrote that.

I'll stay for a year and then step down. We'll either make most of the progress in a year or we won't, so it makes sense to step down either way at that point. I'll also give transparent reports of what's happening at every board meeting. If we're blocked from meeting each other, or something, you'll hear about it. No more pretending everything is wonderful.

If I don't get elected then I'll continue focusing on address data outside of OSM. It's frankly the easier route but it would be a real shame if OSM isn't the venue to make it happen. Either way I'll still be available to the board if they want help.

As an aside, there are other important things to get working again too. I think it's a real shame that Henk wasn't supported in his SOTM work this year. I think bringing down the term limits should happen too, as a couple of examples. We can't fix everything, but we can try.

Steve