[Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Mon Oct 27 07:38:05 UTC 2014

> It's nice if we have directors whose employers or companies
> pay for the trip but we can't assume that to be the case.

This creates a real conflict of interest problem...

Why a company would pay a trip for one of its employee to attend a non
profit organization meeting if nothing is expected on return ?

If that company wants to help the organization, let it fund/donate to the
organization and let the organization use it freely and directly.

About F2F meetings...

In my past life taking care of international sport competition
organization, we had the same F2F cost/benefit problem.
We were having a F2F autumn meeting which was useful but costing large
amount of money for our budget.
As we were organizing a final competition, I proposed to move the F2F
meeting on the next 2 days of this final competition event. As most board
members were already on site because of the competition, the additional
cost to bring a couple of additional people was much less.

Why not take advantage of SOTM to stay 2 more days to work together ? This
is also the good timing as new board members have just been elected. This
allows them to immediately get involved in the board, know the other board
members in person without delay and share work.

It is hard for me to imagine a board member or candidate not attending SOTM
which is a best place to get in touch with an active portion of the OSM
community and have so many F2F informal meetings !

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France