[Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

Marek.Strassenburg-Kleciak at elektrobit.com Marek.Strassenburg-Kleciak at elektrobit.com
Mon Oct 27 07:44:21 UTC 2014

Exactly Christian,
I fully agree with you!
BR,
Marek

From: Christian Quest [mailto:cquest at openstreetmap.fr]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:38 AM
To: Frederik Ramm
Cc: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] The role of face-to-face meetings in the future of the OSMF board

It's nice if we have directors whose employers or companies
pay for the trip but we can't assume that to be the case.

This creates a real conflict of interest problem...

Why a company would pay a trip for one of its employee to attend a non profit organization meeting if nothing is expected on return ?

If that company wants to help the organization, let it fund/donate to the organization and let the organization use it freely and directly.

About F2F meetings...

In my past life taking care of international sport competition organization, we had the same F2F cost/benefit problem.
We were having a F2F autumn meeting which was useful but costing large amount of money for our budget.
As we were organizing a final competition, I proposed to move the F2F meeting on the next 2 days of this final competition event. As most board members were already on site because of the competition, the additional cost to bring a couple of additional people was much less.

Why not take advantage of SOTM to stay 2 more days to work together ? This is also the good timing as new board members have just been elected. This allows them to immediately get involved in the board, know the other board members in person without delay and share work.

It is hard for me to imagine a board member or candidate not attending SOTM which is a best place to get in touch with an active portion of the OSM community and have so many F2F informal meetings !

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
Thank you.