[Osmf-talk] Some ideas

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Thu Oct 30 07:34:17 UTC 2014

Hi. Most of the candidates elected (and present on the list now) had big
manifestos about where the board is now and how they see its future.
Well, look where it got us.

I'm not a politician, and probably not a good manager. But I assume I
know what makes participating in OSM — as a mapper, as a programmer, as
a writer — fun. We have seven^W four people on board, is there a signle
one of them who would (or have) spare their time for simple, but visible
organizational improvements, like those I listed? What do you have to
show for being an OSMF or OSM member? All I've got for previous posts is
"everything is great, changing it would lead to the OSM demise, and you
haven't though all that over good enough". Well, isn't that what Board
is for?

And I'm not saying I won't be working towards those tasks. It's just
that would be much easier with a young and active board. Steve's
candidacy just undoes most of what has been done for past 3-4 years and
prevents us from going forward. That's why I am pro-reboot: the whole
process, the mindset of OSMF Board members should be changed. Sorry if
it looks childish, I'm not very good at sophisticated wording.

How many times it should be said, that OpenStreetMap is not the map and
not the software — it's the community. If we lost our entire planet
database overnight, the community is strong enough to map it from
scratch, as license change has shown. The community is our biggest
strength, so the Board should not restrict itself to protecting the
database — it should protect and grow the community. I don't see anybody
catering to that. All I see in manifestos are maps (addresses),
software, transparency — excellent goals, but what's left for the
community to do? It's like nobody outside OSMF even exists.

IZ