[Osmf-talk] AGM and board elections

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 21 13:23:26 UTC 2014

Actually, I find it to be a very good idea. By the way, the 1st of
October, next week, is the International Day of Older Persons
http://undesadspd.org/ageing/internationaldayofolderpersons.aspx

There is a good saying in the US navy: "when you are in command, - command."

I suggest the page of OSMF Officers & Board could be made similar to the
page of The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees with professional
photos and a text about each officer. Also with ten members, and also
available from the main website in two clicks.

Three places could be so far/intentionally left blank until next
elections/. One place is reserved for an representative of elderly age
group, 65+, one place for a (sub-)continent (Asia, India, Australia,
Africa, South America, or North America), and one place for a woman, to
address the diversity. All this should be prepared by the 1s of October.

There could be also an announcement to send an application with a
professional photo, a motivation letter, etc. If there are no good
candidates, it could wait until the next year.

Just yesterday I walked at countryside with a colleague, and we were
trying to read a street name on the OSM map on an iPhone. Even with
glasses we could not read it. Perhaps a young person could read it
easily. I mean people in advanced age have some special interests.

On the other hand, this man, Peter Camenzind, who is 60+ years old
http://www.marathon4you.de/upload/bilder/JM09_102_090905111805V2Z.jpg
runs a marathon (42.2 km, 26,2 miles) for incredible 2 hours 54 minutes
http://web2.nyrrc.org/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/96162.3.022357297017733648 .
Most of us will never be able to do it, no mater how young we are, how
long we train and how hard we try. And even to run 5 or 10 km in this
tempo. An advanced age does not always mean - weak.

brgds,
Oleksiy (Alex-7)