[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Fri Sep 26 03:53:47 UTC 2014

Look, it isn't my job or anyone else from marginalized communities jobs to
educate you about diversity. It is pretty simple if the OpenStreetMap
community cares about diversity it is everyone's responsibility. I provided
a few links previously pointing to some potential resources.

A simple issue is within our interactions with each other. There are
regular microaggressions that happen frequently(1). Saying that because
everyone is treated equally rude will never lead to a diverse community.
Underrepresented groups already are coming from a place of less privilege
and it is unfair to expect them to adapt to an aggressive community of the
privileged.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the idea that our goal is a "free map
of the entire world" and how we often extoll that map making used to be in
the hands of just a few authorities and is now in the hands of the people.
If you replace authorities with privileged, privilege certainly being
something that original map makers had then we actually haven't changed
anything. OpenStreetMap still is a map made by the privileged. What is
great though is that this is something we can change.

I really like this cartoon on equality vs. justice. Rather than make the
map "equal" which will actually be the view of a few, how can we approach
it to allow everyone to participate(2)? I also think "Free as in Sexist?"
is a great article regarding issues in free culture and the gender gap(3).
I'm trying not to specifically speak about this issue just from the aspect
of gender, though for me it is a portion of the problem that effects my
very personally.

-Kate

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory
(2) http://themetapicture.com/equality-vs-justice/