[Osmf-talk] low altitude aerial images layer at OpenStreetMap

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 25 05:44:11 UTC 2015

Good morning,

Here are some of panoramic aerial images which I made in Odessa,
Ukraine, with the quadrocopter F450 DJI (flight controller Naza V2 with
GPS) and camera GoPro 4 Session. One such an image may cover several
square kilometers. It does not substitute satellite imagery, but
provides useful information for mapping: building levels, land-use, etc.

And it is not necessary to have hundreds of photos for just one street
as with a Street-View approach. So it is not necessary to have the
newest servers for such a layer.

City of Odessa, Ukraine:
https://goo.gl/photos/Jnt4TaXuxyw7j6kR8

and town of Bilhorod-Dnistrovs'kyi:
https://goo.gl/photos/ve3NPBSg98v46n5J7

to get the HD photo download it, do not save from the browser screen.

<https://goo.gl/photos/Jnt4TaXuxyw7j6kR8>F450 DJI is assembled from the
ARF (almost ready to fly kit), so it is easy to upgrade and repair. It
is a robust flying platform. Let alone camera GoPro 4 Session.

Mapillary accept aerial images but a flight should be only 4 - 5 meters
above the ground. I published several aerial images on Google Maps
though, and the number of views is in thousands. Images are to be
geo-tagged before publishing to Google Maps.

There will be the conference "How drones changing your business" in
Lausanne, Switzerland, on September 14th and 15th 2015:
http://droneapps.co/ . Among attendees are DJI, Airbus, Lufthansa,
SenseFly, DB Bahn, SNCF, and others.

I am also experimenting with fixed-wing UAVs. It is much harder to learn
to pilot well, but a fixed-wing UAV is capable by now to fly about 200
km along a waypoint route with an autopilot.

So the idea is to implement such a panoramic aerial imagery layer at the
OSM.

Best regards,
Oleksiy