[Osmf-talk] 2015 AGM results

Gregory sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Wed Dec 16 17:38:39 UTC 2015

Hi Joseph,

As Paul said...
"Be careful of drawing conclusions from the numbers and particularly "vote
counts" - you can't come up with a simple candidate ranking in an STV
election for multiple positions because conceptually one does not exist."

As I understand it, we do not know if Ilya/Peter/Martijn were placed as
anybody's 2nd, 3rd, 4th,... or 11th choice.
If you ignore the rounds, you could say Mikel was a strong 1st-choice
candidate with only 8 votes short of the requirement (with Willie being a
further 32 1st-choice-votes behind Mikel). Of course, such a statement
ignores that people voted knowing they could multiple choices.

I ranked my votes, as STV allows. However I didn't really care which order
my 1st & 2nd choices were in. I didn't really care which order my 4th & 5th
were in (I only wanted to vote for them "less" than my first 2 choices),
and my 6th, 7th, and 8th choices I voted for just because I felt they were
a better option than the remaining candidates (which I didn't vote for).
Unfortunately, STV doesn't allow me to put breaks in my voting (I did try),
so no analysis from the voting record can say exactly how strong a
candidate is.

What is a strong candidate? Well (assume the majority votes as I do), if my
1st choice didn't run, my 2nd choice is more likely to come 1st place and
thus is/was a stronger candidate.

>From slightly South of the 55th parallel North,
Gregory.