[Osmf-talk] Secret USSR cold war maps

Дмитрий Киселев dmitry.v.kiselev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 05:33:14 UTC 2015

As I know these maps are under roscartography's copyright.

In a nutshell, in USSR it were a state department of geodesy and
cartography,
which were a formal owner of that maps,
and roscartography has inherited
<http://www.lingvo-online.ru/ru/Search/Translate/GlossaryItemExtraInfo?text=%d0%bd%d0%b0%d1%81%d0%bb%d0%b5%d0%b4%d0%be%d0%b2%d0%b0%d1%82%d1%8c&translation=inherit&srcLang=ru&destLang=en>most
of assets.

There are many questionable issues in this transition of rights,
but in ru community we avoid to trace those maps.

Any way, there are other sources for information, which hasn't yet been
outdated since 1980s.

> On 19/07/15 19:08, Simon Poole wrote:
> > Martin didn't mention the outcome of the discussions: there is no
> > indication that they are out of copyright at least not just from an age
> > point of view, at the time it was a bit unclear who the copyright holder
> > was, but I wouldn't assume that there is none (naturally that doesn't
> > stop entrepreneurs from still selling them etc. particularly when they
> > are located in the US).
>
> there are rumours that a certain mapping company in one of the countries
> mentioned in the article was bootstrapped by lifting most of the
> information from the previously secret military maps. back in the early
> nineties, "copyright" was not a word around here :)
>
> overall, between the age of those maps and the tiny copyright issue, i'd
> probably suggest not to invest any time into tracing or lifting features
> from them. if you do it on a personal level and on a small scale, i
> doubt anybody will suspect/catch you, though. just sayin' :)
>
> > Simon
> >
> > Am 19.07.2015 um 17:25 schrieb Andy Mabbett:

> really old now (e.g. 1989 is 26 years from today)
> >>
> >> That's not necessarily a problem - many features do not change, We've
> >> used out-of-copyright Ordnance Survey maps for this purpose for years.
> >>

> >> Another thought occurs to me: we should invite one of the guys dealing
> >> with these maps to speak at a SoTM.
> --
>  Rich

Thank you for your time. Best regards.