[Osmf-talk] Hiring help for OSMF administrative tasks

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu Mar 12 13:13:46 UTC 2015

Hi All,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Harry Wood <mail at harrywood.co.uk> wrote:

> There's the old debate: OSMF should expand to hire lots of people, versus
> OSMF should remain a lean volunteer-driven organisation. In that sense we
> might say there's a principle at stake in this discussion. Maybe we're
> starting down a slippery slope towards a more heavyweight organisation like
> WikiMedia Foundation (Not necessarily a very bad slope to slip down, but it
> means heavyweight funding requirements and nasty heavyweight donation
> banners etc) ...That old debate

I hate to even point out this old debate, but I don't think of staff vs.
volunteers as a binary. OpenStreetMap or Wikimedia? Those are not the only
two free culture/open-source organizations in the world. It is a disservice
to all the others that do amazing work to leave it at that.

Is the OSMF board perfect? Or even is OSM perfect? There is a desire from
vocal members of the OSMF that the board needs to be more transparent. You
don't give us any tools to do that. We aren't talking about hiring someone
full-time forever with a pension and all those complicated expenses. We are
suggesting really a baby step which I think can really help us move forward
to support the project.

Best,

-Kate