[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application: Italy

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Nov 18 18:29:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 16.11.2015 07:52, Paul Norman wrote:
> The OSMF has received an application from Wikimedia Italia for a subgroup
> within their organization to become the OSMF Italy chapter.

this application is news to me and I'm not aware of its history, so
please excuse any dumb questions.

Has Wikimedia Italy supported OSM before, through events or similar, and
for how long? Is it well known to active members of the Italian OSM
community, or would this come as a surprise to them? Has the Italian
community been consulted beforehand, and what was the result?

The big question is, of course, if being both an OSM and Wikimedia
organization is compatible. Personally, I feel that there is a
significant difference between the way the OSMF and WMF work (with the
very centralized, rich WMF on the one hand and the volunteer-driven OSMF
on the other hand). Now while this affects mostly the parent
organizations, it's also visible in Wikimedia Italy, which appears to
have a budget surpassing that of the OSMF, and spend a significant
amount on employees.

Besides the cultural differences, there is also the inevitable outcome
that one of the communities will end up as the minority, so it might be
difficult to elect a board that is the best possible representation of
both communities at the same time.

What do you think, are the differences surmountable?

Tobias