[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application: Italy

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Nov 18 19:17:47 UTC 2015

Il 18 novembre 2015 19:29:06 CET, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On 16.11.2015 07:52, Paul Norman wrote:
> > The OSMF has received an application from Wikimedia Italia for a
> subgroup
> > within their organization to become the OSMF Italy chapter.
>
> this application is news to me and I'm not aware of its history, so
> please excuse any dumb questions.
>
> Has Wikimedia Italy supported OSM before, through events or similar,
> and
> for how long? Is it well known to active members of the Italian OSM
> community, or would this come as a surprise to them? Has the Italian
> community been consulted beforehand, and what was the result?

This is not new, it was definitely discussed in depth on the Italian list.
OSM community members even joined Wikimedia Italy to have a representative in the association.
Just check the answers that are coming to talk-it@ these days.

> The big question is, of course, if being both an OSM and Wikimedia
> organization is compatible. Personally, I feel that there is a
> significant difference between the way the OSMF and WMF work (with the
> very centralized, rich WMF on the one hand and the volunteer-driven
> OSMF
> on the other hand). Now while this affects mostly the parent
> organizations, it's also visible in Wikimedia Italy, which appears to
> have a budget surpassing that of the OSMF, and spend a significant
> amount on employees.

I think you are mixing Wikimedia and Wikimedia Italy, which is linked but independent (also to address the point of centralization).

> Besides the cultural differences, there is also the inevitable outcome
> that one of the communities will end up as the minority, so it might
> be
> difficult to elect a board that is the best possible representation of
> both communities at the same time.
>
> What do you think, are the differences surmountable?

The "open culture" Italian community (in a broader sense) it's not SO big, let's not split it.

And again, this is coming from the Italian OSM community.

Ciao
--
Luigi