[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application: Italy

Simone Cortesi simone at cortesi.com
Thu Nov 19 18:32:47 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 16.11.2015 07:52, Paul Norman wrote:
> > The OSMF has received an application from Wikimedia Italia for a subgroup
> > within their organization to become the OSMF Italy chapter.
>
> this application is news to me and I'm not aware of its history, so
> please excuse any dumb questions.
>
> Has Wikimedia Italy supported OSM before, through events or similar, and
> for how long? Is it well known to active members of the Italian OSM
> community, or would this come as a surprise to them? Has the Italian
> community been consulted beforehand, and what was the result?

I've been in touch with Paul for long time on this.

As well we announced this about 2 years ago and we run a survey on both the
italian language talk list (OpenStreetMap) and then another survey on the
Italian language wikimedia list.

then asked, as wikimedia italia, that at least 20 people not already
members of the chapter to become one.

there has been a widespread interest on this and wikimedia italia started
18 months ago supporting both financially and organizationally the OSM
activities throughout the country.

-S

--
-S