[Osmf-talk] Financial oversight (was: Special Resolution for General Meeting)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Nov 21 15:50:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 11/21/2015 04:24 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> I appreciate and share the desire for more financial oversight and
> better consultation with members about direction, but I’m not sure the
> corporate member fees a place well-suited for it.

If in the next board period I am still going to be the OSMF treasurer
and unless other board members have grand other ideas, what I would like
to do is find a volunteer from the OSMF membership who will act as a
volunteer auditor.

I don't know if this is usual in other parts of the world but it is a
common concept in German non-profits; you have the board, and you have a
volunteer auditor who gets to look at the books and who reports to the
membership. There will have to be some sort of "NDA" between that person
and the organisation because the auditor will get to look at personal
data (e.g. names of donors) that is not for publication, but other than
that, the auditor is independent and reports to the membership.

If it works well, we could in the future even have the membership elect
such an auditor.

Bye
Frederik