[Osmf-talk] Special Resolution for General Meeting

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Nov 21 03:24:50 UTC 2015

On 11/18/2015 5:02 AM, Simon Poole wrote:
> However at the same time I do have to echo Christophs concerns that it
> gives the board practically unrestrained power to change the economics
> of the OSMF. That wouldn't be such an issue with other organisations,
> but the OSMF lacks any conventional financial controls, there's no
> budget presented to the members, there's no audit of the previous years
> financials, and so on. Essentially it boils down to a "trust me", but we
> can't even verify that the trust was warranted. All bearable given the
> historic size of the OSMF financials, but not necessarily if that is
> going to be changed.

I appreciate and share the desire for more financial oversight and
better consultation with members about direction, but I’m not sure the
corporate member fees a place well-suited for it.

Given we’ve got a board election coming starting soon, I encourage those
who feel strongly about these matters to put their name forward before
1600 UTC on the 21st. I know there are those who feel they can’t or
shouldn’t stand, but if too many feel that way, no one stands. When
voting, look at how candidates have acted on oversight and transparency
in previous organizations they’ve been in.

One of the items out of the F2F meeting was to do member surveys, but
unfortunately this has not happened.

There are options for increasing financial oversight like having
independent members review finances, all the way to a s476 required
audit. But, because the deadline for board candidates is soon, I’m not
going in to detail.