[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 00:06:48 UTC 2015

Hi Nico,

Thank you for the heads up on some of the people running for OSMF board.

Somewhat fact free of course, but none the less enlightening as to
different people's perspectives.

The only minor correction I would make is that HOT US Inc. is not
represented on the OSMF board now or ever by Kate, nor will it be
represented on the OSMF board should any of the people you list or
anyone else be elected to the board.

Never to my knowledge has anyone from HOT US Inc. (or as we like to call
it: HOT) ever spoken directly to Kate in her role as OSMF board member
about any HOT related issue or concern.

And further, I can promise you that the same will apply for me at least
to anyone that is elected to the OSMF board in the future.

I am a board member for HOT US Inc. (or as I like to call it: HOT ;) and
in that role I have one main duty and obligation: To do what I think is
in the best interests of HOT and its mission when I am in my role as
board member.

I expect that everyone elected to the OSMF Board has a similar duty and
obligation to OSMF, to do what they believe in the best interests of the
OSMF and its mission and I trust every board member of the OSMF to do
exactly that.

I would really like to see some discussion from the people running for
OSMF board on what their vision for OSM is.

How do they see growing OSM, strengthening the worldwide OSM community
and ensuring OSM's future.

What do you see as the challenges facing OSM in the near and long term?

Further, lets hear about qualifications?

Any board member needs to bring a strong track record of at least one of
these three things to their role as board member:

Time, experience or fundraising skills.

I would love to hear any of the candidates support their candidacy with
their views on which of those three they bring to the effort.

Conspiracy theories are entertaining and all, but I am more concerned
with reality and getting more good OSM community builders on the OSMF
board, like we have had in the past.

Cheers,
Blake