[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 03:39:38 UTC 2015

Hi Blake and fellow OSMF members,

I think you missed the point. Of course everyone is free to disagree with
Nicolas' opinion. The thing is that expressing another opinion than the
official HOT storytelling is not allowed anymore. Since this thread has
been opened, a procedure for violation of the HOT code of conduct has been
started, I received a formal complaint against me and you, somehow kindly
but repeatedly, asked Nicolas, myself and all of those who would like to
raise another sound to just resign from the HOT membership. No less.

Hopefully, such behavior has not been the case so far with the OSMF. As
members, we could see sometimes intense debates between OSMF members or
OSMF board members, including on the general talk list, and this is IMHO
completely safe, allowing everyone to expose his opinions and views, and
help those who still need to make theirs to build them. Did this damage the
reputation of OSM or endangered the whole project? I do not think so. OSM
is about openness and transparency: any community based group or
organization that would to build something on top of it should constantly
keep this in mind, value and protect it, even if it may appear as
contradictory with the classic rules of business organizations. OSM is
designed to change the world, not to replicate its common codes.

Sincerely,

Severin