[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:06:11 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

would board members
> working for a company that sells map tiles[*] perhaps violate their
> employment contract by voting yes, or even by forgoing the opportunity
> to lobby the rest of the board not to do it?
>
> That's where "conflict of interest" rules come in, I think they were
> mentioned by Mikel already. We do indeed have a rule in the OSMF board
> that goes: "When a board member would be influenced by a conflict of
> interest with respect to a decision, they will recuse themselves from
> voting." - but is it enough? And: What are the contractual or "code of
> conduct" relationships that people have with other organisations, could
> "recusing themselves from voting" in the OSMF board already be construed
> as a violation of such relationships?

I think important here could be transparancy. Have as much as possible
happen out in the open and publish the way boardmembers vote on some issues
or when they need to be excluded from some dicussions because of a
potential conflicts of interest. Some of this already is public but maybe
things could be better?

That's also the main difference with your comparison to people in public
office. They are being watched by their electorate using different
mechanisms. Most city council meetings are public, at least where I'm from.
Again, not suggesting everything should be public, just more. It's
difficult to follow what's going on inside the OSMF.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen