[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:13:57 UTC 2015

Hi Christian,

It is a shame that we didn't have a "do you have enough time to dedicate to
the OSMF Board?" asked as a question on the wiki. I suppose it wasn't
because the assumption is that by running you're proposing that you do have
enough time.

I would like to say that I do have enough free time to serve on the OSMF
Board.

Being a HOT member doesn't automatically make you busy with HOT work year
round, there are people that are busy 24x7, but I've tried to explain that
I am not one of these people. HOT membership is for many people, for most
of the year, little more than another mailing list subscription. There are
some responsibilities of course, but it's nowhere near a full-time job;
it's nowhere near a part-time job either. Speaking personally, being a dog
owner is more of a time sink than being a HOT member [0]. I hope that some
of the recent email discussions may help explain why I would recently want
to take a less active role in HOT.

As I have previously stated, I have no decision making ability within HOT,
my membership is a sign of a previous contribution / commitment. Moving
forward I would like to serve OSM in new ways.

Cheers, Joseph

[0] I have seen depressingly few emails concerning the over representation
of dog owners within the OSMF Board and the implications for future
decision making.