[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Mon Nov 30 12:55:57 UTC 2015

Why I won't vote for most HOT candidates running for OSMF board election ?

I doubt they will have enough time to do both things correctly at the same
time (meaning for example dealing with non humanitarian topics at OSMF).

I've asked myself about being candidate at OSMF board election because I've
been asked by a couple of people to run for OSMF board election. My first
question was quite simple: do I have enough free time to be useful at the
board ? So far the question was NO... maybe next year if I can find more
free time to dedicate for such a role.

Conflict of interest is another thing, and I have no clear view on that but
the seek of "soft-power" seems clear to me.

OSMF board needs diversity and/or neutrality. To allow that we need a
mixture of people from different horizons, continents, genders, cultures,
professionnal backgrounds.
Having too much people from north america or europe is not a good thing,
same with people with same professionnal background (like GIS related), not
even mentionning people from same company and/or organization...

Even if humanitarian use of OSM is very important, it is not the goal of
the OSM project. That's why HOT is useful, to have dedicated organizations
dealing with different topics... and we should not mix too much.

Don't get it wrong, I love HOT, hotties, just keep the good work done at
HOT... and you already have someone with enough humanitarian related
knowledge at the OSMF board.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France