[Osmf-talk] Admin action neeeded: Spammy/malware URLs being sent to this list

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Mon Sep 28 22:16:07 UTC 2015

On Monday, September 28, 2015 08:22:30 PM Aleksey Chalabyan wrote:
> Hi Folks, it's been a while since multiple messages with questionable URLs
> are being sent to this list from brian at derocher.org E-mail address, under
> different names.
>
> Do you think list admins should temporarily block this address, until
> person resolves issues on his side?

I just looked at the emails and they aren't actually coming from Brian's email
server (which is IP  66.92.147.174).  I'm seeing these messages coming from:

201.110.78.245
186.109.87.129
203.106.97.248
95.7.223.17

...and others.

So, this isn't really Brian's fault but rather it would appear to be the fault
of a bunch of open relays that are smart enough to hit a listserv that Brian
is a member of.  I didn't take a close look at the past attack but I feel like
it was of a similar nature.

There are better ways to control the flow of these messages than block Brian's
email address (as the attacker will simply find another address to use).

--Eric