[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 21:28:45 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 27 April 2016, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...]
> I think that attracting a large number of corporate members is a very
> good way forward.

I am not opposed to this by the way, especially if the focus is on a
large number with relatively low individual contributions rather than
few big ones.  My critique was on what is offered, not on the concept
itself.  Of course if the focus is more on attracting many smaller
contributors it is not so important to offer huge benefits for the
larger packages.

> If we can entice them to
> give a little more by promising to have a chat with them occasionally

But if someone pays 15k for four chats in a year we all know this is not
just a chat.  Just through the possibility of not paying these 15k the
next year there is an influence.

IMO the problem is also not that companies paying several thousand bucks
per year get an additional open ear and special consideration in
decisions in the OSM project.  The important thing is that such wishes
and decisions to accomodate them should be transparent and in the open.
But if you offer and have these chats in private it does not really
matter if they influence decisions because there will be doubts just
from the mere possibility such an arrangement implies.

Simon is right of course when he indicates that these things need to be
viewed with the background that the vast majority of board members are
employed by current and potential future corporate members.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/