[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Wed Apr 27 21:48:24 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-27 17:18, Kate Chapman wrote:
> The OSMF Board has put together a draft update to the Corporate
> Membership(1). We are interested in feedback regarding the tiers and the
> specific benefits. The idea behind what we have structured is to help
> create a larger income source for the OSMF and we will provide some
> services to help make that higher corporate membership more attractive.

I think it's in the interest of companies with a business model that
involves OSM to keep it alive. The OSMF is not a company and does and
should not offer services or other exclusive "actions" based on a
certain amount of donations. As already mentioned some "benefits"
seemingly try to offer influence and insight in exchange for money.
Therefore I think it's best to dismiss the draft completely.

If the OSMF is in a financially worse situation than that's fine with me
because at the end of the day you have to be able to look into the
mirror and be convinced that you made the ethically right decisions. In
this case I think the ethically right decision is to treat corporate
donors like any other donor.

I think heavy users of OSM are either know or might be identifiable
otherwise. Perhaps it makes sense to just remind them that OSM cannot
exist without donations. If that fails we have to accept that.

- Matthias-Christian