[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:47:09 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 28 apr 2016, alle ore 12:19, Rihards <richlv at nakts.net> ha scritto:
>
> regarding the legal counsel, as a non-lawyer i find the whole situation slightly strange - but that's probably all normal for the field, and coded in laws anyway. if somebody asks for a tech help on irc, the helpers don't entangle themselves in responsibility and future support. if there's a way to make legal help the same level, let's go for it - it could easily just amount to a stern voice on the phone saying "NO YOU CAN NOT OMIT ATTRIBUTION. YOU CAN'T BUY YOUR WAY OUT OF IT."

I agree with those questioning the legal counsel. Imagine questions like "can geocoding results be considered a produced work?" (if yes the results would not be subject to share alike). Why would we want to decide a legal counsel or the board on these, rather than the community? The board is there to ensure that we all adhere to the rules and that the administration works, not to define how the data can be used or the license should be interpreted.
IMHO, if there are problems of uncertainty or ambiguity in the current license/system, we should rather improve the license and use the process that is prescribed in the CTs to do it (have active contributors vote on it).

cheers,
Martin