[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Apr 29 07:59:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

I would not agree. There is a good antique Latin proverb: "Nomen est
omen.", what means the name is a sign, the name speaks for itself.

The subject of this discussion is about new corporate membership tiers.
I do not see why it is not a good idea to discuss tiers' titles and the
total number of tiers while it is only a draft.

Selecting a name of a product is the most serious endeavour. Even such
large companies as Microsoft [1] do not do it internally, as there are
companies which specialize in creation of titles. People who work in
such companies are historians, poets, economists, linguists, etc. It
takes months of hard work to create a title.

Taking it into account we just tried to discuss the tiers' titles. As a
result of this discussion we learned that tiers's titles were inspired
by the Apache Foundation system. It is a good start. However the world
has changed since 1999, when the Apache Foundation was created.

[1] "I Sing the Body Electronic: A Year with Microsoft on the Multimedia
Frontier" by Fred Moody, ISBN: 978-0756757588

Best regards,
Oleksiy