[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:02:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon
>
>> simply that as a consequence of the planned "for pay" premium product
>> there are going to have to be changes to the free version or you are not
>> going to have a viable product
>
> Don't think that a product frame is useful for talking about the Foundation.
> We do want to be clear on what kind of responses we're committed to. Even
> outside of anything new -- for instance Board is committed to meeting every
> month, takes circulars within X days, etc. Would be great for this to be
> really clear for all parts of OSMF, etc.

I totally agree that framing this as "products" or even "what donors
get for the money" is not the most productive way to look at it.

We know what donors get for their money, the same thing we all get for
our money/time supporting OSM and the OSMF - we get continued access
to the collective work of 100's of thousands of contributors to this
pretty amazing project.

We also get the assurance that what we contribute map related will
always be free and open to everyone to use.

But some kinds of support, namely money, help in ways that
contributing map data and time can not help with. We need a wide
variety of support as OSM has a wide variety of needs.

I see the corporate support tiers as just that, support. Support for
organizations that support OSM/OSMF in ways that are differently
meaningful to them than only the available map data, just as financial
support is differently meaningful to OSM/OSMF than mapping support.

None of the support is more important than the other kinds of support,
just different as OSM has needs for all kinds of support. And OSM
contributors, both time and financial, have different needs and
motivations and this program seems like a really good way to address
some of those needs that have probably been neglected due to time
constraints more than anything.

Thank you to the Board and those that have worked on this and those
that have laid the ground work for this.

I have learned that nothing gets the discussion going more than saying
"This is what we are planning to do" with a concrete outline of what
that is.

Regards