[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's report for tomorrow's AGM

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 10 12:33:24 UTC 2016

On Saturday 10 December 2016, Simon Poole wrote:

> > Result for me: i now definitely regret i asked. But that's
> > occupational hazard if you poke your nose around. :-)
> >
> > Anyway thanks for doing the research.  It might after all lead to a
> > more factual discussion of the trademark matter.
>
> I believe nobody has any problems with the questions. I for one, and
> I think this goes for Frederik too, feel more uneasy when there
> aren't any.  Particularly considering that why we are spending the
> funds is not as immediately obvious compared to say hardware
> purchases.

The reason why i said that i regret i asked is because this matter as it
turns out quite inevitably steers towards fairly basic philosophical,
ethical and political questions which likely cannot really be
productively discussed in this venue nor do i feel comfortable doing
so.

Discussion on IT spendings is comparitively easy since it can be carried
out on basis of objective and scientifically verifiable facts.  Legal
matters on the other hand, especially w.r.t. IP rights, are usually
based on inherently non-verifiable assumptions and claims.  I still
hope discourse on the trademark matter can be put on a more factual
level along the open question "what approach/strategy do we want to
pursue on this matter", for example by looking at how other projects,
in particular in the open source domain, deal with this.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/