[Osmf-talk] Treasurer's report for tomorrow's AGM

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Dec 10 13:36:15 UTC 2016

Am 10.12.2016 um 13:33 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> Discussion on IT spendings is comparitively easy since it can be carried
> out on basis of objective and scientifically verifiable facts.  Legal
> matters on the other hand, especially w.r.t. IP rights, are usually
> based on inherently non-verifiable assumptions and claims.  I still
> hope discourse on the trademark matter can be put on a more factual
> level along the open question "what approach/strategy do we want to
> pursue on this matter", for example by looking at how other projects,
> in particular in the open source domain, deal with this.
I'm not sure why you are assuming that we haven't looked at what other
projects are doing, in particular both the original IP policy draft as
the current one are based on other organisations work.

That said, we are not operating in a vacuum, and as the "Mappy Hour"
issue shows, we effectually do not have a choice than to protect the
marks in question. That has nothing to do with if we like the system or not.

Simon