[Osmf-talk] Promotion of personal projects on OpenStreetMap twitter a/c

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:39:12 UTC 2016

I think there's a few things to clear up here before we go too far:

* The "openstreetmap" twitter account is run by the OSMF CWG on behalf
of the *project*, not the OSMF Board
* There has always been (and always should be) a large amount of posts
on that account that are not OSMF related, but that may be of
interested to OSM project members
* Before complaining about special treatment for board members, you
need to show that other non-board members have received non-favourable
treatment. Has this happened? Do you have any evidence that Steve's
project has been treated any different from a non-board member's
similar project?

I think a sense of proportion might also be needed:

* Steve is the founder of the project, so it's natural that people
involved in the project may be interested in what he's up to, and the
project's twitter account is a reasonable channel for that
* It's just a tweet, one of thousands, not a link on the front page or
a banner on the wiki.
* By asking for a "formal statement of the current board position on
this issue" you are both a) likely pouring ice-water on the enthusiasm
of CWG members to tweet interesting things and b) tying up the OSMF
Board's time on writing a formal statement instead of other things. Is
this topic really worth it?

Sure, I can see that it's useful for CWG to have guidelines on what's
appropriate to tweet and blog about, and I don't know whether they
have formal guidelines or not or if they just use their own judgement.
But let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.

Thanks,
Andy