[Osmf-talk] exit

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 6 10:48:25 UTC 2016

The HERE <https://maps.here.com/> map was sold for 2.8 billion USD [1].
I made couple of edits at the HERE map. I may be wrong, but my personal
impression was that it is kind of dorky. I would estimate that the value
of the OSM map now is probably much more than 10 billion USD.

It happened before, a successful open source project was sold to a
commercial entity lock, stock, and barrel. For example, MySQL. When so
much money is involved, it is practically impossible to withstand a
hostile takeover. It could be shills, manipulated public opinion, etc.
Here are articles already explaining that an open source project is
better off under a commercial company [2].

In my opinion, such people as Jimmy Wales, who are capable to generate
original ideas, who have a reputation, are not completely obsolete yet.
He is experimenting with financing too, but he will not commit at least
high treason. There is a lot of criticism for "donate" banners, that
Wikimedia allegedly is asking money which it does not need, etc., but
Mr. Wales does not quit because of it. So sticking around is the right
thing to do for the project.

[1] http://fortune.com/2015/09/02/nokia-maps-ftc/
<http://fortune.com/2015/09/02/nokia-maps-ftc/>
[2]