[Osmf-talk] Where is the OSM Code of Conduct?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 1 16:59:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 07/01/2016 06:24 PM, Blake Girardot wrote:
> I was looking for the OSM Code of Conduct and I am just not finding it.

I don't think there is a global one. Conferences tend to have them
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct), some mailing lists
or working groups have their house rules, there are rules governing data
entry and behaviour connected with that etc.

There were occasionally discussions and efforts to create some kind of
global code of conduct but AFAIK they were all ultimately fruitless.
There's a very old draft on the Wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Community_Code_of_Conduct_%28Draft%29)
and the last effort I know of was on the diversity-talk list
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/diversity-talk/2014-October/000166.html)
but that, too, has petered out.

The OSMF has decided on a mission statement that has some overlaps with
a typical code of conduct
(https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Mission_Statement) but doesn't go
into as much detail as a code of conduct would (i.e. "if X happens, call
this number" etc).

The OSMF does not currently have a body that could enforce a global code
of conduct either. Sometimes misbehaviour is reported to Data Working
Group and dealt with as the WG see fit but DWG members among themselves
only speak a handful of languages and would therefore be quite incapable
of investigating many claims that could conceivably made under a code of
conduct. The same is true for the OSMF board.

Bye
Frederik