[Osmf-talk] Brexit

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jul 2 09:58:29 UTC 2016

Am 02.07.2016 um 10:34 schrieb Rory McCann:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/07/16 20:47, Marc Zoutendijk wrote:
> > With the UK leaving the EU, what are the consequences for the OSM
> > comunnity? Especially in relation to our copyright rules?
>
> I don't think there should be any copyright problems. After all, there
> isn't really any copyright problems with the USA not being in the EU,
> so UK not being in the EU shouldn't matter that much.

Things are so uncertain at the moment that it probably isn't really
worth speculating. In practical terms while there could be for example
issues with data protection legislation, it is difficult to imagine a
scenario in which the UK or Wangland would not have to have EU
compatible rules (which is one of the reasons that the whole thing is
incredibly daft), just as for example the country that I'm a resident of.

Copyright however might be an exception in that DB protection could
potentially go away (CH doesn't have that for example), however the rest
is standard fare and globally roughly the same.

> I wonder how the fall in value of GBP has affected things? State of
> the Map is in Belgium, and the OSMF accounts is in GBP. Has SoTM
> gotten more expensive for OSMF?
Assuming that the funds coming in for the event have not been exchanged
to GBP (and would remain mainly Euro and $) in Euro the event P&L should
remain roughly the same. In the reported financials, assuming the Pound
stays weak, it will increase the events reported profit or loss (since
that is converted to GBP).

In other words I would expect that the effect is going to be negligible.

On the other hand for the LWG (3rd largest budget in the OSMF) given
that essentially all filing fees etc are incurred outside of the UK,
costs have naturally gone up.

Simon