[Osmf-talk] Budget for 2016

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Thu May 5 15:29:51 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-01 16:21, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> In very simple words, according to this budget we will have about £43k
> left in cash at the end of the year. That will be enough to survive in
> 2017, but by the end of 2017 we *must* have found new funding sources or
> else we go bust.

Can you define what you mean by "go bust"? If I understand the budget
overview correctly the facts are that at the moment donations from
individuals seem to be enough to cover the hosting costs. So as long as
people believe in OSM and want to support it, it will continue to exist.
All other expenses aren't strictly necessary to keep OSM operational.

I also think that the OSMF should never spend more on ongoing operations
than it receives from individual donations to prevent itself from
becoming dependent on particular interest and to fulfil its vision to be
a map of the world that is free as in freedom. OSM is and always should
be a project by the public and for the public.

I think it has been discussed sufficiently how to cover one time
expenses like purchasing new hardware and how to deal with unforeseeable
events. I think in a worst case scenario there are also public
institutions like universities or libraries that could host some of the
hardware to keep OSM operational (as it seems to be the case already).
Moreover, the ODbL ensures that OSM could exist without the OSMF. So I
think there is little to worry about.

- Matthias-Christian