[Osmf-talk] One small example of OSM's impact on the Sri Lanka crisis

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Thu May 19 03:01:00 UTC 2016

Greetings,

It is with sad news that I have to write about a crisis, but the OSM
stack and Community are making a difference during this Sri Lanka
Flood crisis and I had to let you know.

As a dedicated and active member of the OSM and HOT worldwide
community I am so glad to be a part of a community and project, OSM,
that makes such a contribution to humanitarian work.

Below is a forward from the HOT Email list and I think it shows very
well what HOT aims to do, for better or for worse, but I am quite sure
for better. And what OSM is already doing to support Sri Lanka.

I hope you will read our activation notice and the reply from Robert
who started and is leading the HOT activation mapping.

I am not asking anyone to help map, or share it or anything, these
were HOT email list emails. I am forwarding this to say thank you to
every one of you for making this possible. Sending it out to the whole
oms-talk list was one size too big for me so I kept it between us
foundation members, but of course the thanks really extends to the
worldwide OSM community. OSM is an amazing community and software
ecosystem both of which make a real difference to people around the
world, whether you know it or not.

Regards,
Blake
(Full disclosure: I am the President of HOT US Inc.)