[Osmf-talk] Corporate Membership: Response from SotM-WG

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:55:05 UTC 2016

Apologies for continuing the off topic, I'll keep it brief.

On 30 May 2016 at 18:00, Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> I read the response, and I would like just to make a technical remark.

The metaphor of gold vs platinum may not actually be outdated but
still be applicable if we consider jewellery - that is, how normal
people experience these metals in everyday life.

>From what I understand, whilst it is true that platinum is cheaper
than gold at trade / bulk levels - when consumer crafts are looked at,
platinum crafts are more expensive. I think this is due to the purity
of the metals differing - a gold ring can be less pure (40-85 karat)
and mixed with other cheap stuff, whereas a platinum ring is usually
made from more pure metal (>90 karat) and mixed with other expensive
stuff. So, in my opinion, the metaphor stands in common understanding
and everyday experience if not in technical like for like bulk
commodity markets. In other words, a person trying to buy a ring in a
jewellery shop will see that a platinum ring is more expensive.

Cheers,

Tim