[Osmf-talk] Joining OSMF - welcome pack suggestion

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 21:20:29 UTC 2016

Hi Janet.
Welcome to the foundation, and to the osmf-talk mailing list!

I like the "welcome pack" idea. We talked about this face-to-face on Tuesday of course. I think you're right. We've tended to assume that people know a fair bit about the foundation when they get to the stage of signing up as a member, but that is not necessarily the case, and a "welcome pack" might be good way to help new members feel more ...welcomed.

This would be duplicating content on the osmfoundation.org site, where we've got some descriptions of the working groups, which hopefully are reasonably enticing and up-to-date (no? ok this is an area we should work on too!)

(Questions for the membership secretary or whoever knows) I know we send a brief automated email of some kind when somebody joins. Do we use the CRM system for that? What's the current text? Do we know about the user's language preference at that stage? Is the welcome email translated?

Harry