[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Dec 2 16:27:36 UTC 2017

Hi Clifford

I find it interesting that you choose to not include the organisation
most similar in mission to the OSMF (the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF)) in
your list, particularly given the OSMF is clearly not an "Open Source"
organisation (with exception of a short stint by Andy Allan immediately
prior the licence change to finish the redaction software, I'm not aware
of the OSMF ever contracting for, distributing, or overseeing the
development of any software at all).

The WMF is of particular interest, not just because they, at least in
theory, have a similar role in their overall movement as the OSMF, but
because they have multiple CoC or similar documents tailor made for the
venue, activity and groups that they concern. Taking particular care on
the hand to allow people working together on a specific task do so in a
friendly non-discriminatory environment (in our case this would be
mainly the working groups) and on the other hand being careful not to
stifle debate and critical discussion of matters that concern policies,
elections and the central organisation  (in our case the OSMF).

Now I do make the admission that for somebody that has never been
involved in OSM in an active way before, being dropped on to this
mailing list has to be bewildering, which goes for any mailing list in
times of high traffic, but to turn it in to an essentially moderated
list on which you don't dare raise issues or say your mind because you
might frighten somebody away that doesn't have the context of the
discussion yet, cannot be the solution. Maybe we should simply revive
osmf-announce and not automatically subscribe everybody to this list,
though I'm sure that will simply result in people complaining that they
are being cut out of important discussions.

That, very seldom, we have events in which unacceptable language is
used, I count three in seven years of OSM (the major one being two
Americans calling each other names on talk-diversity,). is the risk that
we take by providing open communication forums, no CoC will stop that
happening, except of we turn this list in to fully moderated. But that
risk is by far outweighed by the benefits.

Simon