[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sat Dec 2 19:07:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

It's a shame that 2 areas often covered by CoCs are getting mixed up
together. Namely, rudeness and bigotry.

On 01/12/17 23:13, Michelle Steigerwalt wrote:
> I've found the most valuable contributions to discussions tend to be
> the ones that make uncomfortable observations and force the community
> to be self reflective.
Difficult discussions may be rude, or not respectful, or heated, or
whatever. And it's sometimes good to have those conversations. But I
think (hope?) we can all agree that there are some "discussions" which
have no place in OSM, regardless of how polite, or civil they are expressed.

Things like "Are gay men a threat to children?", "Did the Holocaust
happen?", "Are women biologically stupider than men?", "Are trans women
in a women's bathroom a threat?" "Are black men biologically more
violent?" "Are muslims terrorists?" *MUST* have no place here, even you
talk about them in nice, calm, reasonable way.

Plenty of bigots say "We should be able to talk about anything, even if
it makes people uncomfortable! So, are white people biologically superior?"

--
Rory