[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 2 19:35:08 UTC 2017

On Saturday 02 December 2017, Rory McCann wrote:

> Things like "Are gay men a threat to children?", "Did the Holocaust
> happen?", "Are women biologically stupider than men?", "Are trans
> women in a women's bathroom a threat?" "Are black men biologically
> more violent?" "Are muslims terrorists?" *MUST* have no place here,
> even you talk about them in nice, calm, reasonable way.

I don't think this has anything to do with the matter at hand.  All OSM
communication channels are purpose oriented - there is no true
off-topic channel where you can discuss things with no relation to OSM.
You don't need a CoC to sanction such discussions - just like you do
not need a CoC to prevent spam.

Michelle's comment is about something completely different, it is about
the value of uncomfortable and inconvenient communications (and i would
add to that even offensive communications) to a progressive, tolerant
and open society.  Such communication would be severely affected by
a 'be nice' style CoC.  Dismissing that with the argument that a CoC is
necessary to prevent statements denying the Holocaust is - frankly -
fairly weird.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/