[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 2 20:16:45 UTC 2017

Thanks.

As you already indicated the answer is ultimately not really
satisfactory but it gives me some new insights into how HOT 'ticks'.

> I assume most folks are the same way. I guess I have heard people say
> "hey its just the way I communicate and I do not care if sounds
> offensive" but I think those folks are a minority.

How about folks who have no perception for certain things being
considered offensive by others because their culture does not consider
such things to be offensive?  Do they have to adjust to the culture of
the CoC and are required to learn how to recognize this?

Generally one of the most widespread problems if you visit or interact
with a society very unfamiliar to you is that you tend to unknowingly
do things or say things that are offensive to people.  One particular
case is when a language has several different words for something your
language only knows one word for and using the wrong word in the wrong
context is a serious faux pas.

I understand this might not be an issue with HOT since all HOT members
are likely expected to be able to communicate reasonably well in
English and are familiar with the British/American cultural context
that usually comes with the language.  But for OSM this is not the
case, the majority of communication in the OSM community is in
languages other than English.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/