[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 19:34:46 UTC 2017

Hi Christoph,

I apologize I misunderstood your question. I probably do not have a
great answer to your actual question.

I am not suggesting this be a requirement ever, but in the past I have
asked people to read what I wrote before I posted it. I called it a
"jerk check". "hey, do I sound like a jerk in this email?" (most of
the time the answer was yes ;)

Similarly, other folks who are not native speakers of english have
asked me to read their writing and offer suggestions for making it
better, more clear, and once in a while, less combative sounding.

I think HOT's process actually starts out with something like reach
out informally to let someone know their communication or actions were
rude or hurtful or offensive. Hopefully, whomever it is receptive to
hearing they might have unintentionally been offensive. I know I care
if I am being unintentionally offensive and for sure would want to
know if I was being a jerk as I never really want to be a jerk.

I assume most folks are the same way. I guess I have heard people say
"hey its just the way I communicate and I do not care if sounds
offensive" but I think those folks are a minority.

In HOT and OSM we communicate all the time with folks who do not speak
english as a first language and the vast majority of the time
everything is fine. It is kind of odd that the worse someone speaks
english, the less offensive their communications are and more
understanding everyone else is with their communications.

If the CoC is specific enough too I think that gets around the issue
of "does this violate the CoC?" the ambiguous CoC's I think would lead
to more of the issue you raise. I think if we work on it as a
community in good faith we can come up with something that would
address your concern about not being sure if anything you wrote
violated the coc.

Respectfully,
Blake