[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should **NOT** Adopt a Code of Conduct

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 19:24:42 UTC 2017

Hi, Nikos:

On 03/12/17 20:12, Nikos Roussos wrote:
>> I have more interesting things to do in life,
>> like mapping for example.
>
> So you only do one interesting thing at a time? Please let's avoid undervaluing what other people may find interesting.

No. I do many. And I am being simply ironic here. Maybe just another
cultural difference?

>> Any code of conduct will make people more or less autocensure. I can't
>> see any interest of having that thing, unless for control.
>
> If a CoC make people to auto-censor from abusive behavior I'd say it's worth it.

Autocensorship is very negative, again from my opinion. I prefer to let
people express themselves, even if I don't like their manners (subjective).

> This is a nice read on the value of a CoC in a community:
> http://incisive.nu/2014/codes-of-conduct/
>
> For those who don't have the time to read it all a very good argument is that "you aren’t creating a code of conduct only - or even primarily - for the people who are likely to break it. You’re creating it to make it clear to anyone who has been harmed or harassed, online or off, that your space is safe for them."
>
> In that context, and without any intention to offend anyone, I'd give more value in this matter to the opinion of people who are more likely to be the victims of harassment and abusive behavior, compared to the opinion of white males who argue out of the safety of their privileged status.

The problem here, as stated by many others, is what "a safe space" is
for each of us coming from very different cultures.

Cheers,

Rafael.