[Osmf-talk] statistics from the membership drive

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Dec 3 20:08:53 UTC 2017

On Sunday 03 December 2017, Kate Chapman wrote:
> Would you envision the board becoming more parliamentary? At the
> moment the board members don't represent specific interest groups. Or
> is this more focused on the OSMF membership in general?

I think the latter is more fitting.

My vision would be every active OSM community member being an OSMF
member - either automatically or because this becomes established
practice.  This of course would absolutely require the membership fee
to become optional.

IMO this could probably work as a direct democratic system although with
such a broad membership base it might make sense to either have some
sort of global representative parliament-like body to oversee the board
and decide on matters of importance or (which likely makes more sense)
to create a federal system where local communities elect their
representatives and these local representatives together form a
counterweight to the board which would allow the board to turn into a
more government-like body with specific roles and skills as you
suggested.

With the current size and structure of the membership such
considerations are of course still pretty utopic.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/