[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 23:36:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> OpenStreetMap is one of the few open source initiatives that operates its
> mailing lists without a formal Code of Conduct. Many [1] of the large open
> source projects have adopted a Code of Conduct for their mailing lists,
> forums and conferences.

For reference:

The OSM Carto project (which maintains the base OSM tile layer style)
already has a Community Code of Conduct in place.[1] The pull request[2]
that introduced this particular CoC has none of the skepticism, doubts, and
fears that other people on this (OSMF) mailing list have put forward
regarding having a CoC. It seems to me that the maintainers did not think
twice that having a CoC is needed or that it is unnecessary.

The iD project also has a CoC in place.[3] (This only applies to the
development project that maintains the iD codebase and not to iD users.)

There is an ongoing discussion[4] with the aim to introduce some sort of
CoC to the OSM website repository. Note that this discussion is only for
adding a CoC to the development project that maintains the OSM website, and
does not apply to the users of the actual website nor to other OSM-related
spaces.

[1]
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
[2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2289