[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 00:30:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> That said, nobody has opposed the adoption of CoC by community near
> projects in any case, given that none of them are actually controlled by
> the OSMF and are in general private undertakings, it is not even really on
> topic.

The original thread post has listed various third-party organizations and
software development projects that have adopted CoCs for reference
purposes. Some people have expressed the idea that what other
organizations/projects do does not really apply to OSMF, and while it has
been mentioned that HOT US Inc. already has a CoC, some people have
misgivings about the US-incorporated organization in the first place and
would not think that what HOT (the organization) does is applicable to the
OSMF.

I agree that these other CoCs are not actually controlled by the OSMF but
my point is that having an CoC is not an alien concept to the OSM
community. Given that there are many people in the OSM community that
participate in projects that *have* adopted a CoC, I think their thoughts
and ideas (as expressed in their pull requests and discussions) about the
concept of having a CoC is directly relevant and therefore on-topic.

For further reference, subsets of the OSM community already conduct events
that have event-specific CoCs. Here are some of them, for reference:

- SotM LatAm (click on the "Our conference has a code of conduct" link
under the "About the event" section): http://state.osmlatam.org/en/
- SotM US (listed halfway down the page): https://2017.stateofthemap.us/
- SotM Asia: http://2017.stateofthemap.asia/code-of-conduct.html

The main State of the Map conference itself, which is directly controlled
by the OSMF, already has a CoC in place:

- https://2017.stateofthemap.org/codeofconduct/
- https://2016.stateofthemap.org/codeofconduct/

Regards,
Eugene