[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Dec 4 07:37:20 UTC 2017

Am 04.12.2017 um 01:30 schrieb Eugene Alvin Villar:
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch
> <mailto:simon at poole.ch>> wrote:
>
>     That said, nobody has opposed the adoption of CoC by community
>     near projects in any case, given that none of them are actually
>     controlled by the OSMF and are in general private undertakings, it
>     is not even really on topic.
>

> The original thread post has listed various third-party organizations
> and software development projects that have adopted CoCs for reference
> purposes. Some people have expressed the idea that what other
> organizations/projects do does not really apply to OSMF, and while it
> has been mentioned that HOT US Inc. already has a CoC, some people
> have misgivings about the US-incorporated organization in the first
> place and would not think that what HOT (the organization) does is
> applicable to the OSMF.
>
> I agree that these other CoCs are not actually controlled by the OSMF
> but my point is that having an CoC is not an alien concept to the OSM
> community. Given that there are many people in the OSM community that
> participate in projects that *have* adopted a CoC, I think their
> thoughts and ideas (as expressed in their pull requests and
> discussions) about the concept of having a CoC is directly relevant
> and therefore on-topic.

Essentially "nobody" participates in the above projects (at most ~200
people). But that's not the point, the point is that they've chosen for
themselves and haven't had an outside organisation decide for them,
particularly they've been free to decide if an US--tech org. style CoC
is fitting for them or if they would like to do something else (none of
them outside of iD is dependent on deep pocket US funders, so I assume
that it was actually free will, which is not true for many other
projects outside of OSM) . You need to go back and re-read the original
posting in the thread which suggests that the OSMF adopts a single such
(if the shopping list is anything to go by) policy for the whole of OSM,
covering all public and non-public OSM related communication for at
least roughly a million people.

> For further reference, subsets of the OSM community already conduct
> events that have event-specific CoCs. Here are some of them, for
> reference:
>
> - SotM LatAm (click on the "Our conference has a code of conduct" link
> under the "About the event" section): http://state.osmlatam.org/en/
> - SotM US (listed halfway down the page): https://2017.stateofthemap.us/
> - SotM Asia: http://2017.stateofthemap.asia/code-of-conduct.html
>
> The main State of the Map conference itself, which is directly
> controlled by the OSMF, already has a CoC in place:
>
> - https://2017.stateofthemap.org/codeofconduct/
> - https://2016.stateofthemap.org/codeofconduct/

Have you actually tried to organize a conference without a CoC these
days? Just alone the financial pressure is so large that you don't
really have a choice.

Conferences are one of the few venues in OSM that I know of were there
have been actual complaints that likely would be covered by a core CoC
(sexual harrassment, gender bias etc). Not one designed to be invokable
just because a topic is being discussed that somebody is not comfortable
with. See Nathaniels (successful!) attempt to shut up Michelle, that
interesting enough nobody called out (consider that done now).

Simon