[Osmf-talk] A Modest Proposal - OSM(F) should **NOT** adopt a copyright/database licence

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:59:45 UTC 2017

One of the most friendly digital communities I have had the pleasure to
interact with is the CCC. Even if they had a CoC, it does not seem like
many know of it, but often have mentioned one guiding principle: "Be
excellent to each other"

Even if we were to go by such a simple idea, there would be so many
messages and remarks on the OSM mailing lists and changeset discussions
that would fall far short of us being excellent to each other. It is often
made to feel that those mapping communities that use Facebook and Slack for
communication, or those who engage in organized mapping are somehow not
part of the "real" community. In such a situation, the hope to build a more
global resilient network is already lost.

I feel a CoC will make all of us a little more aware of how we are actually
building a diverse community, and empowers each one of us to be excellent
to each other even if we don't have a single edit on the map.