[Osmf-talk] wish list to osmf board

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Dec 5 12:36:30 UTC 2017

Hi Christine,

I believe leadership can mean different types of things. At least if I were
to use the word leadership I'm personally not talking about the
authoritarian type. When I picture that type I think of a military and a
leader saying "let's go run up this hill over there, no don't ask why."

I picture "quiet leadership" which is an idea coming from Susan Cain in a
book called: "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop
Talking". This type of leadership is enabling of others, the type of
leadership that leaders by their actions not by just telling others what to
do. I very much believe we need that enabling type of leadership,
otherwise, what is the board doing at all?

Being on the board is a service for the community, but I think it is more
than that. For a long time, people viewed being on the board as some sort
of chore rather than something they wanted to do. I haven't surveyed my
other board members to ask how they view the board today but hope it is
more than that.

I understand culturally there are different reactions to the word "leader"
and I hope this enabling leadership is something people see a value of even
if they don't call it that.

-Kate