[Osmf-talk] wish list to osmf board

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Dec 5 19:16:53 UTC 2017

Hi Christine, Kate,

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 5:36 AM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
>
> I picture "quiet leadership" which is an idea coming from Susan Cain in a book called: "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking". This type of leadership is enabling of others, the type of leadership that leaders by their actions not by just telling others what to do. I very much believe we need that enabling type of leadership, otherwise, what is the board doing at all?
>
> Being on the board is a service for the community, but I think it is more than that. For a long time, people viewed being on the board as some sort of chore rather than something they wanted to do. I haven't surveyed my other board members to ask how they view the board today but hope it is more than that.

I have read Susan Cain’s book as well, and as an Meyers-Briggs INFP, I personally could not even imagine another way to  conduct ‘leadership’ than in the enabling way that she describes. I know there are cultural sensitivities connected with the word ‘leadership’, so it may be better to work around that word and try to describe the role of the board in different terms.

I think the Mission Statement page on the OSMF web site captures the role of the board pretty well. Among many other things, we are responsible for taking active steps to safeguard project relevance, future and success, defining a strategic vision and maintaining a set of clear project goals. Obviously we do not do these things in a vacuum, but it is our remit as a board to make sure that these things are being done. Whether you want to define that remit as ‘leadership’, ‘support’ or something else, is less important than agreeing on the role and responsibilities we have as a board representing you and the project.

Martijn