[Osmf-talk] wish list to osmf board

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:34:28 UTC 2017

Hi Simon,

> to a model more Wikipedia like

To be honest, the "model" I was thinking about was more related to John's
mention of:

> over $80M USD in revenues in 2016

That's a lot of money that could be spent improving OSM for the
contributors :-)

I don't wish to see the OSMF change to a WM model, or to radically change
how things are done here (less arguing and conspiracy theories, perhaps). I
don't want the OSMF to become a defacto services provider. I'm don't edit
wikipedia articles. The change I was inspired by in the original emails was
the ambition of the scope; more people are contributing to OSM and more
people are using the services (through third parties, often without
realising) - I want to see the OSMF utilise this growth to benefit the
membership. We can be inspirational drivers of this technology and
contribution method - we can build the best map of the world - without
monopolising services.

That's the sort of thing I want to see from the Board and this, I argue,
would take leadership that some of the candidates were offering. I tried to
convey that sort of attitude a couple of years ago, but either people
didn't want to hear it, or from me, or they were put off by my previous
experience.

Cheers, Joseph